Sunday, October 10, 2010

AFTER 16 YEARS, THE HOUSE

"And when their subfloor had been laid in place (Mrs. Smith hammered it down while her husband sawed) they danced there in the moonlight and fell in love again."

Farm Home and Garden, The Salt lake Tribune, Sunday, June 19, 1949 Section H Page One

And its owners, Mr. and Mrs. Ensign Smith, grandparents,
who wanted a place so much they put it up themselves. See page 8.
-page 8-
click on image to enlarge
This article was mentioned in the post Grandma's Kitchen.

3 comments:

Lark said...

I think they should have pictured you in this article. Myrle how old were you when you helped build this house? And how long did you live in the house? Your mother sold it after grandpa died and she married again.

Myrle Dalton said...

15-16 years old. I was in Jr. High. I held a wall for dad and it fell on me because I wasn't strong enough to hold it all by myself. We also had a fire in it the Christmas of that year. I was 16 and laying on the floor and saw smoke coming from the eves from a board that wasn't yet placed. Dad said, " No, it it just the smoke swirling around, but I insisted and he got up looked in the attic and sure enough it was on fire. I guess the fireplace hadn't been sealed off completely and the hot coals moved into it. The fireman broke mom's tile on the hearth and she cried. We were blessed it was caught in time and there was just minor damage. I was there until I went to BYU, the fall of l951 at the age of 18. Mom sold the house in l968 or maybe l969. Dad died in the Fall of l967.

Lark said...

Happy Birthday to you!